One Single Mom

Just the varied ramblings (and rants) of a middle-aged (?) woman, a single mom, from the Texas Panhandle.

Monday, January 10, 2005

For Lauren....

Jan 8, 2005

Dear Lauren,

Wow, here we are, 21 years later already? I’ll try NOT to get TOO mushy, but it seems just like yesterday I was getting up early on this day and getting ready to meet you face-to-face for the first time!!

How can I possibly tell you what it means to me to be your Mom? I can’t – and even if I could, you wouldn’t believe me anyway (which is fine). It’s too hard to understand until you have kids of your own (plenty of time there – NO HURRY, ha!).

I am truly so proud of you and I really like knowing you, to boot! Not a lot of moms can say that about their kids – sure, they ALWAYS love them, but to like them – that takes something really special!!

I really wish I had some profound words to give you or the secret to success or life or love – or whatever it is you most want - but I don’t. All I can tell you is that I will love you forever and that I will always be here for you – even if it seems sometimes to be the other way around (and thanks for that too, by the way).

I want you to have my add-a-pearl necklace. It is fitting that it just happens to have 21 pearls on it. You are as precious to me as any pearl – and even the story of how a pearl comes to be is appropriate when I think about you. It’s not like an oyster is a very pretty thing to begin with (me being the oyster, lol), and then comes a grain of sand or something else irritating and not really very remarkable to begin with. But given enough time, and care, and glossing over, something rare and beautiful is created – something that men risk life and limb to possess, reaching to great depths to discover it and once found, cherishing it for life.

Don’t you EVER mistake – your day is coming sooner than you might think – you are growing and changing in so many positive ways every day – I can see it happening right before my eyes!

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY – I LOVE YOU LAUREN!!!!!



The Birthday Girl, Herself! Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Toron said…

    Such a great letter. Reminds me of my mom. *sniff*

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger WhiskyTangoFoxtrot said…

    Well said,

    Yes, her "day" is coming....the man that catches that girl will discover he has made the best decision of his life.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger OneSingleMom said…

    WTF - thanks for that. You brought at tear to my eye, again. I will be sure and tell her you said so - it will mean so much more coming from a guy she really respects! ...osm

     

Post a Comment

<< Home